Our Housing Services department provides a variety of services for homeowners and first-time homebuyers, including homebuyer education and counseling, foreclosure counseling, below-market home improvement loans, down payment assistance, assistance in selecting the right mortgage, and foreclosure prevention services. Spanish interpretation is available.
We are a HUD certified housing counseling agency and we have adopted the National Standards for Homeownership Education and Counseling. Our counselors are trained to assist residents address their housing needs and problems.
Sandy-impacted Home Owners
Northfield Community LDC works with residents impacted by Sandy to resolve obstacles they face in recovering from this devastating storm. In addition to housing counseling, referrals to rehabilitation services, we assist home owners to resolve open permit applications and violations with the NYC Department of Buildings.
Northfield Community LDC is a community not-for-profit dedicated to helping you remain in your home. Our foreclosure counselors will educate you about foreclosure alternatives and on how to assess your options when faced with foreclosure. We are dedicated to helping you work out a plan with your lender. Don’t hesitate to contact us. We protect our clients from predators looking to take advantage of those in a vulnerable situation.
Homebuyer Education Course
Thinking about buying a home? Every future homeowner should attend our 8 Hour First Time Homebuyers Class. This class is mandatory for our HomeFirst clients. Our course will take you through the entire home buying process. The curriculum covers the following subject areas:
- Budget: Participants learn the importance of budgeting. Receive great budgeting tips that will help you prepare for home-ownership.
- Credit: Maintaining good credit and understanding your credit report is covered in this course. Learn how to read your credit report and how to dispute incorrect items on your credit report.
Find out what lenders are really looking for.
- Shopping for a home: Learn about the role of the real estate broker in the home shopping process. This course will cover the pitfalls of shopping for a home. Learn how to pick your ideal agent, shop for a home inspector, and spot potential disasters though visual inspection of a property.
- Obtaining a Mortgage Loan: Northfield Community LDC provides you with the terminology you need to understand your lender. Learn how to shop for a mortgage and spot hidden fees. Our course covers the loan application, lending statements and closing documents.
HPD HomeFirst Down Payment Assistance Program
In order to qualify for the grant, you must:
- Purchase a 1-4 family home for owner occupancy in one of HPD’s Homeownership Zones in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens or Staten Island
- Grant must be used towards down payments or closing costs
- Successfully complete the 8 hour Home-buyer Education Course with Northfield Community LDC
- Contribute part of your own savings towards down payment or closing costs
- Purchase a single-family home for a maximum of $303,800 or a two-to four family home for a maximum of $464,100
- Occupy the property as your primary residence
- Be a first time home-buyer with a maximum annual income of $67,100 for a family of four. Maximum income varies according to family size.
Please refer to the table below:
Family Size Maximum Household Income
1-person household $47,000
2-person household $53,700
3-person household $60,400
4-person household $67,100
5-person household $72,500
6-person household $77,850
7-person household $83,250
8-person household $88,600
Northfield Community LDC works with a number of financial institutions to secure an appropriate mortgage product for your needs. Counselors provide one on one assistance with the preparation and completion your mortgage application.
Northfield Community LDC assists clients with obtaining below market rate home improvement loans. We work with the City of New York to preserve, protect and increase your valuable investment (your home) through affordable loan products and services that offer rates as low as 2.5%.
Please contact our housing department for further assistance:
Housing Project Manager/Counselor
Phone: (718) 442-7351 ext. 227
Phone: (718) 442-7351 ext. 228